Fresh off of a battle with the Coronavirus – President Trump reportedly plans to take part in next week’s second presidential debate in Miami, but Joe Biden may have other plans.
While there was some doubt about whether or not the president would be able to participate in the next debate after being diagnosed with COVID-19, Trump 2020 Communications Director Tim Murtaugh cleared up any confusion, telling Fox News, “The President intends to debate.”
Murtaugh’s comment came Monday evening less than an hour after the president left Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he had been receiving treatment for COVID-19 since Friday, and returned to the White House.
Biden’s campaign has said that the Democratic nominee will travel to Florida for the next debate, but when it comes to actually debating the president, it seems as if Biden is looking for an easy way out.
Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden says he’ll listen to what the “experts” say to determine whether it’s safe for him to face off next week against President Trump.
“I’ll do whatever the experts say is appropriate for me to do,” Biden told reporters as he boarded a flight Monday to campaign in the battleground state of Florida.
Biden said he would “Listen to the science. If scientists say that it’s safe…then I think that’s fine,” but he did stress that “we should be very cautious.”
President Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani also said on Monday that there was “no reason” for the next debate to be delayed.
“I think it’s very possible. Again, all of it assumes he keeps making progress the way he does,” Giuliani said during an appearance on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
“I assume he’s going to be in condition by then to do it. Can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t. And there’s no reason to delay them. There’s only two more left, they’re enormously valuable to the American people. I think he’ll make every effort to make it. I’m certain he will.”
Giuliani also touched on Trump’s strategy for the debate – saying that interrupting Biden was a strategic move, intended to smother Biden – and it worked. Giuliani referenced a debate between then-Vice President Biden and Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan in 2012 in which Biden employed the same tactics.
“He just was all over him. I think we told the president, ‘We don’t want the story coming out that he dominated you.’ And the president sure didn’t let that story come out,” Giuliani said.
Biden, after sharing a stage with President Trump last week during the debate, has tested negative for COVID-19 twice since Trump’s diagnosis. Vice President Mike Pence and Sen. Kamala Harris both tested negative as well.
The Biden campaign has said that as of now Joe Biden plans to debate – but it wouldn’t be surprising to see a so-called “expert” bail sleepy Joe out of what could be another embarrassing debate performance for him.
Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris are scheduled to face off on Wednesday night in the single vice presidential debate. Both have tested negative for the coronavirus.